Provided on this page is my resume, updated on Sep 17, 2012. To see my interests, click here.
Research In Motion, Jun. 2008 - Aug. 2012
Internal Professional Training
- Cloudera Hadoop Developer – Developing in Distributed Parallel Computation Framework
- Oracle BPM Programming Foundation
- Fundamental J2EE Design Pattern
- ITIL 2.0 Foundations
- Writing Web 2.0 Application With Ajax
- Perl Developer Advanced Training
- Innovation of Problem Solving: PEM + TRIZ Meta Algorithms of Problem Solving.
Wilfrid Laurier University, Jan. 2004 - Apr. 2008
Bachelor of Science, Candidate for Honour's Computer Science
- Relevant Courses: Image Recognition, graphic processing, Internet programming, programming in Java, C/C++; Python; networking, TCP/IP, Server/Client architecture programming in Java; Database in SQL (Sybase ASA/MySQL); PHP; Assembly in 68K; algorithms; cryptography and network security; Visual Basic .NET, accounting.
University of Waterloo, Jan. 2001 - Dec. 2002
- Relevant Courses: Canadian Business, Programming in J++ and OOT, Mathematics of Finance, Management Information Systems, Introduction to Micro/Macro Economics, math related courses.
- Programming languages - Java/J2EE, C/C++, Python, MySQL, Oracle 10g/11g, PHP, Perl
- Frameworks and methodologies - Hadoop, Spring, ITIL 3, Scrum, Agile
- Design - server/client based database driven applications; web-based applications
- Networking - custome design and installation of office LAN/Wi-Fi networks
- Applications - JBoss AS, Tomcat, WebLogic, Oracle OBPM
- Operating systems - experienced with Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux Ubuntu, RedHat
- Proven ability to inspire, motivate and coordinate others in a team setting.
- Analytical and efficient to solve problems independently within time constraints.
- Abundant working experience as a trainer and organizer.
- Articulate in explaining technical concepts and approaches any audience.
- Fluent in spoken and written English, Mandarin, basic knowledge of Spanish.
Research In Motion Feb.2011 - Aug. 2012
Enterprise Solution Architect Waterloo, ON
- Architected and designed a dynamic, feature-driven content management and delivery system serving millions of devices and coordinated its implementation / commercialization
- Architected and designed a log collection, analysis and BI platform based on device error logs
- Architected and designed a Hadoop cluster for advanced research analysis based on large volume of data
- Consulted on many corporate IT / server side development projects focused on high-volume data processing / message routing
- Interfaced with customer and development, operational teams to analyze current processes and systems
- Provided feedback and analysis for functional specifications as input to the business system analyst
- Developed concept solution architecture for multiple projects that require distributed, scalable solutions
- Developed full-fledged solution architecture documents for several projects supporting new platform release
- Coordinated development effort between different teams and mapped out tasks and dependencies
Research In Motion Jun.2008 - Feb.2011
Software Tools Programmer Waterloo, ON
- Designed, implemented and delivered Messaging Gateway component for an on-device diagnostic tool for Playbook Java EE 6 and EJB3
- Designed, implemented and delivered a processing cluster component for high volume log parsing component using Java EE 6, Java Web Service and EJB3, and CA Wily
- Co-designed, developed and tested a high-throughput, distributed secure authentication system with millions of requests a day
- Co-designed, developed and delivered a web services layer for the authentication system for another tool
- Assisted in trouble shooting BPM process and web service integration for the Tool Cluster
- Implemented SOA designs of Enterprise Self Service project for using GWT / J2EE
- Designed, implemented and maintained Automated Service Verification project with Perl, Java and Wily
- Participated in planning, development and maintenance of short and medium-lifespan Relay monitoring tools for the NOC
- Collected monitoring requirements from end-users and translated them into specifications and designs.
- Designed and implemented a prototype project feature for the Enterprise Self Service project in J2EE
Wilfrid Laurier University Sep.2006 - Apr.2008
Instructional Assistant Waterloo, ON
- Explained essential concepts and provided programming help to groups of students.
- Marked and returned assignments to students electronically on weekly basis for two courses.
- Answered questions knowledgably about concepts and programming related issues.
Innovative Software Ltd. Feb.2004 - Jan.2007
Founder/ Software Designer Waterloo, ON
- Lead a team of 4 programmers to design, develop and deploy i-Resta 2.0 wireless POS system based on client's requirements.
- Regularly provided clients with IT related planning, design and implementation services.
- Conducted field-studies in factories and retail businesses to generate business/system reports.
- Designed two IT process re-engineering models for clients based on field-study findings.
- Coordinated team to design, implement and market products and services of the company.
FTI Computers 2003 - 2004
Marketing/Sales/Customer Service Kitchener, ON
- Created reports and proposals for IT service and cost analysis for corporate clients.
- Regularly provided clients for IT related planning, quoting and technical assistance.
- Performed software and hardware installation, repairing and testing on customers' computers.
- Mastered usage of accounting program QuickBooks on self-motivation.
- Increased sales by 20% in the first two months.
Hubei Golden Import & Export Co., Ltd. 2002 - 2003
Marketing Assistant Wuhan, P.R. China
- Searched and contacted potential business partners from the Internet and other sources.
- Redesigned and improved product catalogue in both Mandarin and English with colleagues.
- Designed promotional materials and product lists and developed company website.
- Contributed in an increase of 15% in exporting revenue in auto-parts and other goods.
WLU PHI Club Of Computer Science, Math and Physics Apr 2006 - Apr 2007
Founder/Council Chair Waterloo, ON
- Established the foundation of the club and oversaw it from a concept to a reality.
- Successfully organized membership initiative campaigns to market towards new students.
- Coordinated activities aimed to promote networking and exchange among science students.
- Designed, co-planned and led services to assist students in their academic developments.
- Led volunteering review sessions for first and second year courses to assist students.
UW Career Service Center Sept 02 - Dec 02
Student Career Information Assistant Waterloo, ON
- Confidently handled regular student appointments and provided constructive resume critiques and other career related information.
- Regularly assisted other colleagues in the office in information searching and paper work.
- Participated in Post Graduate Degree Day information fair and presented materials to students.
Bronte College of Canada Sept 2000 - Dec 2000
ESL Teacher Mississauga, ON
- Taught a high school ESL class of 25 students for 12 weeks
- Gathered visual aids and extra-curriculum materials to help students learn with more interest
- Led discussions of various subjects of students' interests and marked tests
- Customer Recognition award from RIM for exceptional collaboration, 2012
- Ironman 70.3 World Championship Participant, 2011
- ITU Triathlon Long Distance World Championship Participant, 2011
- Volunteering review session leader for three math / computer science courses for first year students
- Valedictorian of Graduating Class of 2000 at Bronte College of Canada
- Interests include triathlon (competitive), running (consistently ranked locally), cycling, swimming, climbing, science fiction movies/books, tennis, golfing, fencing, hiking, snowboarding and camping.